This massive amount of seaweed became a problem for shorelines along the tropical Atlantic, Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, and the east coast of Florida, as it covered popular beaches and crowded coastal areas.
- The beaches of Florida and Mexico are being approached by a vast expanse of sargassum seaweed.
- It can expand to such a significant size that it covers the surface of the tropical Atlantic Ocean, stretching from the west coast of Africa to the Gulf of Mexico.
- The interaction of bacteria and plastic marine trash may result in a “pathogen storm,” a research revealed.
- The public was advised by Florida officials to prevent contact with Sargassum whenever possible.
- This Sargassum also known as brown macroalgae forms its shape based on ocean currents.
- This massive amount of seaweed became a problem for shorelines along the tropical Atlantic, Caribbean Sea, Gulf of Mexico, and the east coast of Florida, as it covered popular beaches and crowded coastal areas.
Problem Causes by the Sargassum
When sargassum seaweed washes up on land, it decomposes and releases pungent hydrogen sulfide and ammonia.
- Cause irritation to the eyes , ear and nose .
- Skin related problem .
- Difficulty in breathing may suffer with asthma or respiratory conditions if inhale in excess amount .
However, in open spaces like beaches, the wind typically disperses the gas, reducing its harm. Sargassum seaweed is commonly seen on Florida beaches during the July- August month.
This can be the major challenges occurred by the sargassum cause damage in many forms :
- Beach Disruption: Sargassum seaweed accumulation on beaches can disrupt the aesthetic appeal of coastal areas, affecting tourism and recreational activities.
- Environmental Impact: Large amounts of sargassum seaweed washing up on shorelines can have ecological consequences. As the seaweed decomposes, it depletes oxygen levels in the water, potentially harming marine life and affecting the balance of coastal ecosystems.
- Economic Impact: The presence of excessive sargassum seaweed can impact local economies dependent on tourism and fishing industries. Tourists may be deterred from visiting beaches affected by seaweed, resulting in decreased revenue for businesses and communities.
- Navigation and Fishing Challenges: Thick mats of sargassum seaweed floating near the coastline can hinder navigation for boats and ships. The seaweed can get entangled in propellers and fishing equipment, causing logistical challenges for fishermen and maritime activities.
- Impact on Marine Wildlife: Sargassum seaweed provides habitats and food sources for various marine species. However, excessive amounts can disrupt these ecosystems, affecting the reproduction and survival of certain organisms that rely on healthy sargassum ecosystems.
Sargassum only grows well when salinity is normal and surface temperatures are normal or cooler.
This beaches need more precaution during the weekends due to Cloudy weather, high bacteria .
- Mothers Beach in Marina Del Rey
- Santa Monica Pier in Santa Monica
- Topanga Canyon Beach in Malibu
- Malibu Lagoon at Surfrider Beach
- Latigo Shore Drive in Malibu
- Marie Canyon Storm Drain at Puerco Beach
- Las Flores Creek at Las Flores State Beach
Please follow the Government guidelines or official notice .